Q. My veins have become bright blue in unnoticeable places. Why?

Published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I am a 25 year old female. I do not smoke, drink socially, not on birth control, and my period started today. My veins became bright blue today and appeared in places they usually are not noticeable such as the chest and posterior part of forearm. None of them are raised, just insanely blue and visible. I have had some pain in my legs and armpits leading up to my period. The leg pain nagged for about five days, so I finally went to the ER to get checked for a clot. Doppler was negative. D-dimer blood test normal, and chest x-ray was clear. Any idea what might be causing the odd sensation? The leg pain has nearly gone now that my period has started. I will get a shooting pain in my armpit and inner arm often but the veins are just crazy and show up even on the tanned parts of my body. Please advice.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The veins over the forearms or the armpits and chest which have become prominent and visibly seen (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are unlikely to be related to PMS (premenstrual syndrome) or your menses.

Most likely the cause being decreased subcutaneous fat. They are seen especially in thin built women and can get prominent when the blood volume and the heart rate increases.

The pain related to PMS would subside as your menses have already started.

Considering the fact that you have already got your clotting investigations in terms of Doppler and D-dimer, there is no indication of any deep vein thrombosis as well.

So, I feel there is nothing much to be concerned about here and the prominence is due to decreased subcutaneous fat.

What is the solution for PMS and painful period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking you on behalf of my friend. Here are the symptoms, which she had around three to seven days before bleeding. All symptoms of PMS along with occasional migraine with glaucoma, nausea, pain in the lower part of spine and cramps. On the first day of bleeding, she is having pain...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is dysmenorrhea with premenstrual syndrome. If the pains are severe and symptoms are uncontrollable, then please follow the following prescription. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Tablet Arcalion (S...  Read Full

Why do I have shooting pain in my calves after walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old known diabetic. Since two years, I am having severe leg pain when I walk even for a small distance. I have shooting pain in my calves after just 10 minutes of walk. Doctors have diagnosed it as calcification of nerves. I have attached my reports for your reference. P...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having intermittent claudication due to a peripheral arterial disease as demonstrated by your arterial ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am hoping it is a Doppler ultrasound. It appears that your diabetes is under control and you do...  Read Full

Can you suggest treatment for my elevated D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. D-dimer test is used to exclude deep vein thrombosis like thrombotic disorder.  Your D-dimer value (fibrin degradation product) is slightly high.  If clinically and from other investigations, thrombosis is not present then other causes for high false positive D-dimer...  Read Full