Q. I am a 74-year-old male with BPE. Is sexual activity good for the prostate?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2020

I am a 74-year-old male with BPE. I am in good health for my age. I take blood pressure and cholesterol medicines along with Tamsulosin (Flomax) for my BPE. Is it true that sexual activity (ejaculation) is good for the prostate? Can it help prevent prostate cancer?

#

Thanks for consulting with us.

BPE (Benign prostate enlargement) is a problem of people after the age of 50 years. Obstruction depends on the prostate shape rather than size; that is, which part of the prostate is enlarging rather than the prostate's total size. Some people have a prostate of 30 g with obstruction, and some have a prostate of 130 g with no significant blockage. Now whether to know that ejaculation prevents prostate cancer, some studies say sex and ejaculation can prevent prostate cancer, but there is no clear evidence for that. We know that ejaculation can increase the PSA (Prostate specific antigen) level, making cancer suspension, but that raise in PSA is temporary and will return to normal. Ejaculation activates the prostate and reduces the stagnation of semen in the gland, hence the theory of reduction of risk of prostate cancer. Antioxidants and low-fat, high fiber diet and dietary supplements like selenium can reduce prostate cancer risk. Screening for prostate cancer with PSA every year is better for all patients with BPE.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

| 

What is the reason for prostate enlargement in males above 50 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54-year-old male, good health, good shape, who just got my PSA back from my doctor last week. Initially, he said my prostate felt a bit enlarged on the left side, so he ordered the test. The tests came back at 1.29. So he said all good and normal. No need to follow up with him ...  Read Full »

Is chemotherapy safe at the age of 82?

Query: Hello doctor, My relative aged 82 years is suffering from prostate cancer. It was discovered one year ago. Surgery was done eight months ago, and it is still spreading. He is not diabetic. Will chemo might be fatal?  Read Full »

Please suggest Ayurveda cure for gallstone and prostate enlargement.

Query: Hi doctor, I got gallstone and prostate enlargement and the PSA is 8. Abnormalities are noted in the lung parenchyma or pleura, but no pulmonary nodules seen. Also abnormalities are seen in neck and mediastinum. When I have cold, cough does not stop itself. I drink some water and I think while worki...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»