Q. How do I control my anger?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I have anger management issues and I am physically abusive in my relationship. I do not know how to control this and really need professional help. I cannot live without my girlfriend. I love her so much. Am I supposed to consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist? What am I supposed to do about this? Please help.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

What you are describing sounds like intermittent explosive disorder which is an impulse control disorder. In it, there are explosive anger outbursts during which your anger makes you do and utter things which you repent after the episode. It is treated with medicines, prescribed by psychiatrists, as well as anger management techniques learnt in therapy with psychologists.

If it is frequent and you need immediate help to prevent complications in your relationship, then I would advise you to see a psychiatrist to begin medication and start therapy with a psychologist. If it is not frequent or severe, then you can start therapy with a psychologist first and consult a psychiatrist if required later on. Hope, my advice is pretty clear.

The core elements of therapy for anger issues has three aspects:

1. Identifying triggers for anger.
  2. Deep breathing techniques to prevent anger build up.
  3. Expressing the cause of your anger in words, rather than in actions.

Can you get me a consultation with a well-known doctor? Thank you.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

#

I do not have much idea, though not preferable. I do prescribe medicines to patients, once they get a general checkup and required investigations done by their family physician.

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full »

My husband behaves weirdly in the bedroom. What is wrong with him?

Query: Hello doctor, I got married six months ago. My husband behaves weirdly in the bedroom. And he is using psychiatric medicine. Those are Limbitrol, Flutop 60, Prolol TR 40, Ventab plus from three months and Sildenafil too, but it is not effective.He keeps locking himself, avoids me, washing things re...  Read Full »

I talk to myself and overthink a lot. How can I get rid of this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old girl. I do have a habit of talking to myself about each and everything whenever I am free. I overthink a lot about any situation that what will happen if I do this, etc. It is very difficult for me to let go something, whether they are people or anything else. I th...  Read Full »