Q. How do I control my anger?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I have anger management issues and I am physically abusive in my relationship. I do not know how to control this and really need professional help. I cannot live without my girlfriend. I love her so much. Am I supposed to consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist? What am I supposed to do about this? Please help.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

What you are describing sounds like intermittent explosive disorder which is an impulse control disorder. In it, there are explosive anger outbursts during which your anger makes you do and utter things which you repent after the episode. It is treated with medicines, prescribed by psychiatrists, as well as anger management techniques learnt in therapy with psychologists.

If it is frequent and you need immediate help to prevent complications in your relationship, then I would advise you to see a psychiatrist to begin medication and start therapy with a psychologist. If it is not frequent or severe, then you can start therapy with a psychologist first and consult a psychiatrist if required later on. Hope, my advice is pretty clear.

The core elements of therapy for anger issues has three aspects:

1. Identifying triggers for anger.
  2. Deep breathing techniques to prevent anger build up.
  3. Expressing the cause of your anger in words, rather than in actions.

| 

Can you get me a consultation with a well-known doctor? Thank you.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

#

I do not have much idea, though not preferable. I do prescribe medicines to patients, once they get a general checkup and required investigations done by their family physician.

|