Q. My son feels vomiting during car travel. How to deal this?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

The patient is 9 years old. When he gets in a car, he will get hot flashes, shortness of breath, and vomit. His pediatrician says it is motion sickness, but we had traveled a lot before and had no issues. Even he likes amusement rides as well. He has complained of a spot on his head hurting, but there is no knot, and he occasionally gets headaches. Last night, he had a really bad nose bleed too. There has been no fever associated with this. This has happened two months ago while in my mother's car and again less than two weeks ago. He had a nose bleed last night. His headaches are more frequent. I do not have his current medicine list. He is on medication for ADHD, an inhaler for athletic asthma and chewable asthma medication.

#

• Like your doctor said it could be motion sickness, which happens with closed vehicles like cars.
  • If your child has asthma or ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder), then it could be like he feels suffocate within the closed spaces. It could be habitual also. So, you need to see your psychologist also for this problem.
  • Frequent headaches, especially with nose bleeds, are concerning. But then these two symptoms could be non-specific and not related to each other.
  • Please get your son's eyesight checked and reduce his TV viewing time. Get a general checkup done, record his growth, blood pressure, etc.
  • If he still suffers from frequent headaches, then he might have to get a head scan called CT scan. But, that is the last option.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|