Q. I am always anxious about my health. Please help.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2021

I am a 31 year old. I do not smoke or drink. I am suffering from a health anxiety. Recently I got an ECG and blood test done, the results of which I have attached for your consideration. I have an elevated RBC count. Could this be blood cancer? Also kindly note that I was very anxious during my ECG test, so my heart rate is high in the reports.

#

• I have gone through the reports that you posted (attachments removed to protect patient identity).
  • Firstly, I would like to know the indications for which so many investigations were done. Did you have any symptoms or was it a general checkup? Do revert if you have any specific symptoms.
  •  Secondly, after going through the tests done, I observe there is a vitamin D deficiency.
  • There is an average risk for stroke or cardiac problems, which mean you need to lower your calories, lose weight, maintain a healthy lifestyle, have a diet rich in antioxidants, and eat a good amount of fish.
  • Yes, EKG shows sinus tachycardia which is a feature of anxiety.
  • With regard to RBC (red blood cells), even though the count is high there are no abnormal cells. Hence, there is nothing of concern. Also, let me know if you stay at a high altitude. Do you have any bronchitis or respiratory problems? Do you have any family history of stroke or cardiac illness?
  • About your diet, it should include milk and its products, fish, nuts, vegetable salad, egg, and other foods rich in vitamin D and antioxidants.
  • Regarding treatment plan, I suggest you take a Vitamin D supplement like D-Rise 60000 IU once a week for eight weeks and get the following tests repeated:
  1. Vitamin D levels.
  2. Complete hemogram.

You need not worry at all. Just get rid of all your anxiety and stay cool, calm, and composed.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for replying. This was a routine test. I have no family history of heart problems or bronchitis. I am always anxious and sometimes feel that I am losing my breath, but I am not sure if that is true. I always have a fear that I would get a heart attack, though there are no symptoms for the same. Are there any other abnormalities in my ECG or CBC reports? I live at an altitude of 1,840 feet. Can you tell me what are the reasons for elevated RBC count?

#

• Do not feel anxious. It causes a lot of distress and would affect your health. If you feel anxious to the point that it affects your social living, sleep, relationships, and causes panic attacks often, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a counseling session.
  • With regard to elevated RBC counts, they are only slightly above the normal range and the morphology of all the cells appear normal. Repeat the tests after eight weeks and get back to me. Take care.

|