Q. Can witnessing a life-threatening trauma in young age cause changes in behavior?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Psychological Effects or Healthy Relationship? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I just want to know what kind of mental illness my fiance has. When she was 11, her mom's fiance shot her in front of my fiance and when he turned the shot gun on himself he told her to look. I just want to know if that could be a reason for why she acts a little weird and off sometimes. She talked about her mother a lot too. She misses her.