Q. Please give me your opinion on pterygium surgery.

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 22, 2019

I am a 28-year-old female. Had pterygium for 4 to 5 years in the right eye, and in the left eye for two years. It was treated with eye drops, but I do not remember the name. I have not taken the drops in more than a year. The recommendation now is for surgery, so I am seeking a second opinion, preferably with someone who can view the photographs and offer a treatment option.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I saw the photos, and although they are not of high quality, I can still determine the borders of the pterygium. Usually, pterygiums are operated on if they have crossed the white border of the eye, have reached the central part and are causing visual problems such as blurry or diminished vision. The other reason is cosmetical and if the patient asks for the surgery. Pterygium is a chronic process during which the lesion starts to grow due to different reasons like continuous exposure to the sun, dry eye, etc.

Therefore the decision of whether to do surgery or not is up to you because even after surgery, it might reoccur if the main reasons persist. There is no dedicated treatment for it, and we usually prescribe steroids to reduce the inflammation along with artificial tears to keep the eye lubricated. I would advise you to use the following,

1. Lotemax eye drops or alternative one drop three times daily for 10 days (make sure you shake the vial well before using it in case of lotemax ) and any artificial tears one drop 4 to 5 times daily in a continuous manner (do not use it before going to sleep).

After 10 days you can reassess it yourself an decide whether you want to do the surgery or not.

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full

I am having little veins and yellow color due to pterygium. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,This query about pterygium. The redness has subsided since this morning and first noticed this, and just left with little veins and a little yellow color. My GP has advised to leave it a couple of weeks for it to disappear. Please advise if this may be the case.  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, I feel that you may have had an inflamed pterygium whose inflammation is now reducing with treatment. Pterygium tissue will not dissolve on its own and needs surgery to remove. Although it is possible to slow its growth by lubricants and av...  Read Full

Are there any drops that can heal a pterygium?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from pterygium from last two years. I feel a burning sensation and redness in my eyes the whole day, currently using rose water as suggested by an Ayurvedic doctor. Is there any drops which heal it permanently without surgery? I found one online. Could you please suggest ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very small pterygium. I would not recommend surgery for this small pterygium. I am sorry but there is no medicine to treat pterygium. One may claim anything, but we usually do not recommend any medicine unless it is approved by FDI. You may use lubricating...  Read Full