Q. How reliable are the PFT tests?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I have attached my PFT report and blood reports here for your reference. I would like to get a detailed analysis of my report. Kindly explain.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your attached reports in detail (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Serum uric acid is on a borderline level. It can increase due to alcohol, soda-based cold drinks, non-vegetarian food, especially meat and fish. You have to avoid these in your diet.
  • Your CRP (C-reactive protein) is deranged. Though it is related to heart, it may also be deranged in many other causes. It is nothing much of a concern as lipid profile and cholesterol are all within normal range.
  • Pulmonary function tests are grossly lower than normal. It means the lungs are not working to full capacity. I can say around 60% to 70 % is functioning. This may happen due to any lung diseases and needs further evaluation by tests like HRCT chest (high-resolution computed tomography).
  • The rest of the findings are normal.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

How reliable are the PFT tests? Because, the technician told me repeatedly that I am not doing it properly. Does it indicate any severe lung disease?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

• These are reliable to some extent. But, it shows that you had three attempts to do the act and all three levels are deranged.
  • As it is not 100 % reliable, I have asked you to go a step ahead and do a HRCT chest. If HRCT chest is normal, then nothing to worry about.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I just like to add one point. I have constant chest for the last three months. Each and every time, I feel some mucus in the throat, which does not clear at one go and keep on accumulating. Also, I am obese. Does the result depend on that as well?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

• You are absolutely right. The cough that you are getting with mucus accumulation is the cause for these deranged reports. Only being obese will not have deranged PFTs.
  • PFTs are specifically meant for lung functions.
  • If you are a smoker, then these test reports and the cough are expected.
  • If you are a non-smoker, then you need a thorough analysis from a chest physician specialist.

| 

I am not a smoker and never had any background of asthma. Three months back, I had cold and cough. From that time only I had this issue and a feel of something at the base of the throat.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

• It is good that you are a non-smoker. There will not be any problem in your recovery.
  • Do consult a chest physician and get chest x-ray or HRCT chest. If necessary, you can check the mucus for microorganisms.

|