Q. A 4 year old child has recurrent pus discharge in gums. Please advice.

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

My 4-year-old child has caries on teeth. Since one year we observed pus in the gums above the front tooth. This pus frequently appears with mild pain and disappears within no time. We consulted a doctor who prescribed antibiotic Mox Kid for a week. After using this, again pus was found in the next 10 days.

It is in the same place frequently observed. Please advise.

#

I can see in attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), actually, there are multiple apical infections. I suggest you please ask your dentist for dental X-ray, to find out the number of injected teeth and I think you need root canal treatment followed by gum treatment.

Please do not worry it is common in early childhood and known as rampant caries. Generally occurs due to bottle feeding, more sugar-containing food, poor oral hygiene. Root canal (pulpectomy in child patient) is an effective way of draining out root infection.

Prolonged use of antibiotic is not good for child health, a dental procedure done in dental office and medication is the best way to treat this type of problem. Pedodontist is a specialist for child dental problem so I suggest you please see an experienced pedodontist for your baby. Get well soon.

| 

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full »

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »