Q. Is it safe to get my son's dental treatment done under GA?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Nov 01, 2017

My son, 2 years and 10 months, has been suggested RCT (pulpotomy).

Background: My son is breastfed and still feeds during sleep. He has complained of pain once or twice in the last three to four months. His oral habits are not good. He cries his heart out when we brush his teeth (normally once a day). He likes shakes and juices. He is on an antibiotic and analgesic course currently. He does not speak much. So, communication is a problem for him.

Questions: Should we go for RCT directly after the first round of complaining and medication or should we wait and see? What alternatives do we have? Is GA safe for such young kids? Does it have any impact on his future teeth? What can we do to improve his oral health irrespective of whether we opt for GA or not?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have seen the image sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, the molar tooth is exposed and needs pulpotomy.
  • You need to brush his teeth more often, especially at night before sleep. Use a finger brush which can be worn on your fingers and use it to insert inside the mouth properly and brush regularly. Use a kid's toothpaste like Pediflor.
  • Ask your dentist to coat the teeth with a topical fluoride application.
  • At 2 years, the pulpotomy procedure can only be done under GA (general anesthesia).
  • I suggest you take the antibiotics and painkillers as advised. There is no other alternative.

Formore information consult a paediatric dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

| 

How to Prevent Nursing Bottle Caries?

Article Overview: Do you let your baby sleep with a milk bottle in the mouth? This practice can result in a condition called nursing bottle caries. Read about the symptoms, causes, and ways to prevent this condition. Read Article

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
Pedodontist

Nursing bottle caries is a type of tooth decay also known as early childhood caries/nursing bottle syndrome/rampant caries. In which Age Group, is Nursing Bottle Caries Usually Seen? Nursing bottle caries is usually seen in toddlers and infants. Commonly Affected Teeth: Upper deciduous dentition (m...  Read Article

Following RCT and crown, my gums are swollen. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal performed before four months and a gold crown was fitted before two months. The tooth number is 14. The tooth had a crack in it a few years ago and finally became irreversibly inflamed and required a root canal. My tooth is still sensitive to pressure while chewing a...  Read Full »

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full »

Ask a Pedodontist Now