Q. My kid's pulpectomy could not be completed as she was screaming. Will it bleed?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on May 20, 2018

My daughter underwent a root canal. She is 4. The dentist tried to do it with gas and numbing it. She sat well through the drilling, then when he was doing the pulpectomy, she screamed and choked and flailed around. The dentist seemed unable to handle it all and he said she had a hyperemic pulp. He said he could not stop the bleeding. He was worried for my daughter from the crying and choking. So, he put a temporary filling over it and stopped. He said he was concerned it may bleed and cause pressure inside the molar. Pain and or abscess or infection. I follow up with him in one week just to check it out. Is this something I should be concerned with or is it common? It sounds very scary that her tooth could be bleeding from inside. I am just wondering if I need a second opinion, she needs to see her pediatrician or what. I am nervous. Is this a common thing or do I need a new pediatric dentist?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

It is normal for the pulp to bleed profusely when it is a little enlarged inside, like a polyp. The dentist could have easily managed her, had he given a local anesthesia (just a drop would have numbed it) directly inside the pulp when doing the root canal treatment. He could have then removed the pulp polyp and done the remainder. As soon as the pulp polyp is scraped away, the bleeding would have stopped instantly.

Do not worry. In the next appointment, he may do it.

Anyway, the bleeding is nothing to worry about, as it will not cause any severe pain now due to pressure. But, next time, when he opens it, ask him to put local anesthesia drop inside or inject it directly inside (all this after giving inhalation gas), and then do the procedure.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

| 

My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full »

Is it normal to still have baby teeth at 19?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old and all of my teeth are baby/milk teeth. Is there a chance that permanent teeth will grow for me?  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Ask a Pedodontist Now