Q. Can RCT be done for a 5-year-old child?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jun 11, 2018

Hello doctor, My 5 years old son has a problem in one tooth (second last on down left side ) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (root canal treatment). I have attached the pictures to this query. Here are my questions:

1. Can RCT (root canal treatment) be done for a 5-year-old child?
  2. Will it affect his next teeth (at around 7 years of age)?
  3. Is there any alternate for RCT as he is least cooperating?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

This tooth is a milk tooth which will fall off in around 10 to 11 years of age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, till then to save it, you have to do a root canal treatment. Root canal treatment can be done on a child if he is cooperative or at least parent approves. It will not affect the permanent tooth which will come out below this around 10 years of age. So do not worry. It is advised not to extract this tooth at this age as it will affect the normal growth of jaw.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

| 

How to save a tooth with gum abscess in a 3 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a child who is three years old. He has an abscess on his gums above his front tooth. X-rays are taken, and the dentist wants to pull out the tooth. He says that the roots are gone. So there is no need to keep it. The tooth appears perfect when you look. Is it possible to give him ...  Read Full »

My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »

Ask a Pedodontist Now