Q. Can RCT be done for a 5-year-old child?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Hello doctor, My 5 years old son has a problem in one tooth (second last on down left side ) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (root canal treatment). I have attached the pictures to this query. Here are my questions:

1. Can RCT (root canal treatment) be done for a 5-year-old child?
  2. Will it affect his next teeth (at around 7 years of age)?
  3. Is there any alternate for RCT as he is least cooperating?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

This tooth is a milk tooth which will fall off in around 10 to 11 years of age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, till then to save it, you have to do a root canal treatment. Root canal treatment can be done on a child if he is cooperative or at least parent approves. It will not affect the permanent tooth which will come out below this around 10 years of age. So do not worry. It is advised not to extract this tooth at this age as it will affect the normal growth of jaw.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

|