Q. Can you please tell me if my pulsatile tinnitus is due to TMJ disorder?

Dr. Upendra K Shah
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2021

I have pulsatile tinnitus for six weeks. I have done MRI and CT angiography. But the doctor cannot find anything abnormal in the tests. I have TMJ disorder and I am trying to do exercise for my mouth. I am planning to get a mouthguard from the dentist. Kindly tell me whether pulsatile tinnitus is caused due to TMJ disorder.

#

Temperomandibular disorders do not cause pulsatile tinnitus. But temporomandibular joint can cause tinnitus and it occurs in association with the movement of TMJ. It does not cause pulsations. It should have some relationship with jaw movement by increasing or decreasing in intensity with jaw repositioning. You can check in synchrony with your pulse. Pulsatile tinnitus can occur due to vascular causes. Even a simple impacted wax in the ear canal can cause it.

I have done MRI without contrast of head and neck, MRA of the neck with contrast, MRV of the head with contrast, angiography of the head, and ultrasound of the neck. I am so upset that nothing abnormal is found in any of these tests. I hear an ocean noise combined with my pulse in the inner ear. I am planning to get a mouthguard from the dentist. What is your advice?

#

You have done extensive investigations to rule out vascular causes. This shows that you do not have any neurological problems. Please mention whether you have hearing loss in one ear or both ears. Please mention whether you have these symptoms throughout the day or it varies. You can have pathology in the inner, middle, or external ear or blocked eustachian tube. It can also occur due to sensorineural hearing loss. I suggest you consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) surgeon.

|