Q. Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Published on May 08, 2016

I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great improvement felt. I want to know whether there can be some kind of withdrawal symptom or do I need to consult my physician again? My SGPT and SGOT are 44 and 99 respectively. Total cholesterol is 216 (LDL-157, HDL-36 and VLDL-22.3). I do not have any diabetic background. Please let me know whether this is the reason for lasting GERD.

#

• It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity.
  • Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting.
  • Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
  • Your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) levels are also high which is bad cholesterol. Also, your SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase) levels are high which suggests liver injury.
  • Target should be total cholesterol lower than 180 and LDL lower than 100.
  • To release constipation increase fiber in your diet and avoid fatty and fried foods. Drink lots of water and do regular exercise.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »

I want to know about my overall health check up report. Please suggest.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 38 years old. I got my blood test done for an overall health checkup. I am attaching my reports. I can see my heart and cardiology reports are not good. Can you please tell me whether there is anything abnormal?  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »