Q. Does Nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking?

Published on Aug 27, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2019

I am a 28 year old male and a regular smoker. I do smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day and have been smoking like this for almost 10 years now. When I started, I used different brands, from ultra mild to regular bidis. But now, for almost 3 years I am stuck with regular gold flake.Now, I am desperate about quitting smoking. I tried not to smoke for a day. But the next day, I would return back to the same. Recently, I came to know about a chewing gum called nicotex. It comes in 2 mg and 4 mg form. But I am not sure about this product.

So my question is, does cipla nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking? Also to buy this chewing gum, do I need a doctor's prescription?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you have been a chronic smoker since last 10 years smoking 10-15 cigarettes per day, the body is presently addicted to nicotine and hence if you intend to leave it for a day, the nicotine withdrawal sets in. This may include:

1. Headache.
  2. Nausea.
  3. Constipation or diarrhea.
  4. Fatigue, drowsiness, and insomnia.
  5. Irritability.
  6. Difficulty in concentrating.
  7. Anxiety.
  8. Depressed mood.

These Nicotex chewing gums have nicotine in them in varying concentrations which allow a sustained but minimal release of nicotine while chewing. This nicotine is absorbed through buccal mucosa thus not allowing the withdrawal symptoms to become evident, but the benefit is that you are free from most of the side effects of smoking per se, especially the smoke entering into lungs which may lead to lung diseases in future. This is a substitute to nicotine supplementation and is being prescribed for chronic smokers who wish to discontinue it slowly by following the principle of slow desensitization.

These are available off the counter and no prescription is required for the same. You may try it and try to reduce your smoking urges. In the end, Nicotex can just help you in a way but you need to develop a will to quit smoking and that is very important. You may try and see how you respond to it as every person responds differently to its use. It has been seen to give successful outcomes, but again will power is still the most important thing behind quitting smoking.

What is the treatment for chronic sinus infection due to weather?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic sinus infection because of it I will face problem whole winter. What treatment should I take to get relief from cold in these winter months? Shall I make a choice for vaccination?  Read Full »

Smoking, an Illness and Not Just a Habit

Article Overview: Apart from physical hazards, smoking causes behavioral problems in the form of dependence syndrome, characterized by progressively increasing the amount of smoke, intense craving and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of smoke. Though can be quit on its own, it also requires specific treatment for complete cure. Read Article

Dr. Bharat Udey
Psychologist Counsellor

Smoking is one of the common modes of substance use. Usually, people smoke cigarettes, pipes, bidis, chillums, hookahs. A common ingredient of smoke is tobacco, derived from dried leaves of the tobacco plant. Tobacco consists of an alkaloid known as nicotine, which is water soluble and is a psychoac...  Read Article

What is the treatment for COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now