Q. Will missing anti-virus booster cause rabies after 10 years?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Mar 14, 2019

I had a crazy dog that scratched me 10 years ago. So, I want to know whether that can lead me to rabies because I have never taken any anti-virus booster.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

10 years is quite a long time. It is highly unlikely that you can get rabies by an exposure 10 years back. Usually with infection of rabies virus, (through a bite of rabid animal) shows symptoms in 20 to 90 days. The period can be as long as more than a year. But I have not come across a period more than that.

Regarding immunization, rabies is one of the few diseases for which post-exposure prophylaxis is available. It is always preferred to get yourself immunized along with anti-rabies serum.

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the abov...  Read Full