Q. Will missing anti-virus booster cause rabies after 10 years?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I had a crazy dog that scratched me 10 years ago. So, I want to know whether that can lead me to rabies because I have never taken any anti-virus booster.

#

10 years is quite a long time. It is highly unlikely that you can get rabies by an exposure 10 years back. Usually with infection of rabies virus, (through a bite of rabid animal) shows symptoms in 20 to 90 days. The period can be as long as more than a year. But I have not come across a period more than that.

Regarding immunization, rabies is one of the few diseases for which post-exposure prophylaxis is available. It is always preferred to get yourself immunized along with anti-rabies serum.

|