Q. Will missing anti-virus booster cause rabies after 10 years?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I had a crazy dog that scratched me 10 years ago. So, I want to know whether that can lead me to rabies because I have never taken any anti-virus booster.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

10 years is quite a long time. It is highly unlikely that you can get rabies by an exposure 10 years back. Usually with infection of rabies virus, (through a bite of rabid animal) shows symptoms in 20 to 90 days. The period can be as long as more than a year. But I have not come across a period more than that.

Regarding immunization, rabies is one of the few diseases for which post-exposure prophylaxis is available. It is always preferred to get yourself immunized along with anti-rabies serum.

| 

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »

How long does the rabies vaccine stay effective?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full »