Q. My doctor advised stopping radiotherapy until the coronavirus pandemic is over. What should I do?

Dr. Jatin Bhatia
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I had a tumor in the uterus, and I was admitted to the hospital last month, and successfully uterus, fallopian tube, lymph nodes were removed. The biopsy report came after a week. It says a tumor involving more than 50% of the myometrium's thickness, lymphovascular space invasion present, FIGO: STAGE II. Doctor advised for IMRT, and we completed 12 days. But now, due to the pandemic situation doctor advised not to come to the hospital. Doctor advised that we can finish the next 13 days sitting once this pandemic is over. I am worried that if we stop in between, it will impact the later stage because I am diabetic and have BP. Can you please give me a clear direction? Should I continue the IMRT, or considering the current situation, should I stop for a while?

#

I am sorry for your predicament. It is indeed difficult time due to pandemic. Ideally there should not be any gaps in the treatment, since gap results in increased chances of disease recurrence. I would advise to continue the treatment, however considering the pandemic, the decision to continue radiation is associated with accepting the risk of developing infection, with you having diabetes mellitus and hypertension, you are at a higher risk from getting infected. Please discuss this with your treating radiation oncologist, every hospital has some policies.

I hope I am helpful, kindly revert in case of any further queries.

|