Q. My doctor advised stopping radiotherapy until the coronavirus pandemic is over. What should I do?

Dr. Jatin Bhatia

Hi Doctor, Good Evening. I had tumor in uterus, was admitted in hospital last month and successfully Uterus, Fallopian tube, Lymph nodes all were removed. Biopsy report came after a week. It says Tumor involving more than 50% of thickness of the myometrium., Lymphovascular space invasion present, FIGO : STAGE II. Doctor advised for IMRT and we completed 12 days. But now due to Pandemic situation doc advised her not to come hospital. Doc advised we can finish the next 13 days sitting once this pandemic is over. I am worried if we stop inbetween will it impact in later stage. Because i am diabetic and having BP. Can you please give me the clear direction. should i continue the IMRT or considering the current situation should i stop for a while.

#

Dear,

I am sorry for your predicament. it is indeed difficult time due to pandemic. ideally there should not be any gaps in treatment, since gap result in increased chances of disease recurrence. I would advise to continue treatment, however considering the pandemic, the decision to continue radiation is associated with accepting the risk of developing infection, with you having dm and htn, you are at a higher risk from getting infected. please discuss this with your treating radiation oncologist, every hospital has some policies, example in my hospital we are continuing the existing patients, but not starting any new patient.

I hope I am helpful, kindly revert in case of any further queries. regards

| 

What is the prognosis of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been a patient of recurrent local squamous cell carcinoma. In the last one and half years, he has been operated for cystoprostatectomy and urethrectomy with an ileal conduit for urine bypass followed by lymphonodectomy. After all these surgeries, he had a recurrence seven mo...  Read Full »

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

Deadly Coronavirus - Everything You Need to Know

Article Overview: This is a short write-up about the pandemic COVID-19 that is raging through the world and causing innumerable deaths. The article brings out some instructions on how to keep safe during these times. It also discusses some medical terms which have become common parlance. Additionally, the article advises you on how to keep yourself and loved ones safe. Read Article

Infectious Diseases Specialist

In these times when coronavirus is raging through the world, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and, at the other end we have thousands of online forwards and memes tickling our collar bone. It is wise if we can take a moment, sit back, read and understand what exactly is happening ar...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now