Q. ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 and MCH 39.2. Also, I am a heavy drinker. Please explain the report.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition due to alcohol abuse has caused this. Need to abstain from alcohol on an immediate basis as liver would take another six months to possibly recover. Repeat the test after three months. Also start Vitamin B12 and Folic acid supplements. Nothing major for now. If it progresses then may require liver transplant in next few years.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|