Q. What will happen if Ranitidine is taken before endoscopy?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
Published on Jan 08, 2019

I am 33 years old and I want to ask what and why we need to stop taking Ranitidine before endoscopy? Is it because it hides anything or make a false negative result? I have undergone endoscopy (first time) and still taking Ranitidine to control my acid. The doctor told me that my esophagus is not fine because I took Ranitidine.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgery Neuro Surgery Spine Surgery
#

According to me, it is not compulsory to stop Ranitidine before endoscopy. Sometimes, it may hide the findings of gastritis or an ulcer if taken for a longer time before endoscopy.

Thank you for the response.

I only started taking Ranitidine five days before the endoscopy. I experienced chest discomfort before that. Went to cardio stress test, ECG, X-ray, blood test and everything came out normal. The doctor gave me Ranitidine as he suspected me having acid reflux. After five days I go for endoscopy procedure (without taking Ranitidine on the day) and the finding is gastritis and positive H.pylori. I am now on Clarithromycin 500 mg, Pantoprazole 40 mg, and Amoxicillin.

Below is my extra questions to you:

1. Are five days of Ranitidine consider longer time?

2. Does Ranitidine mask or hide cancer on esophagus and stomach during endoscopy?

3. In my endoscopy report, it said severe fundal and corporal gastritis. What does it mean? I have also attached my endoscopy report for your reference.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

#

Here are the answers:

1. Five days of Ranitidine is not considered longer.

2. No, it cannot hide cancer.

3. It is the inflammation in the wall of fundus and body of the stomach.

Can you help interpret my endoscopy results?

Query: Hello doctor, My endoscopy shows microscopy A and B - Mucosa of the gastric body and antrum exhibiting mature typical glandular epithelium, areas of mild interstitial edema, focal hyperemia alongside rare inactivated lymphocytes in the lamina. An absence of intestinal metaplasia. An absence of baci...  Read Full »

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full »

What to take for pain when urinating after sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a girl, age 20. I had sex four days before, but from that date, I am continuously feeling pain during urination and getting urine out very frequently. Please tell me if that is a serious issue. How to get out of this pain?  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now