RCT (root canal treatment) is a treatment option for an infected tooth pulp. Here, the infected pulp is removed using specialized instruments, and then the root canal is shaped and filled with a biocompatible material. To maintain the strength and integrity of the tooth, a dental crown is placed on the tooth.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to treat a cracked tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, While trying to disassemble a monitor, I accidentally hit myself in the face with the base of the monitor. Later, I noticed that my lateral incisor had a crack and the very top of the tooth had chipped off. Based on the research it seems like it is just a craze line. About half of th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and with your history, it seems that it is an impact trauma with incisal fracture. To confirm that the fracture has not extended to the root of the tooth we must do an x-ray (IOPA - intraoral periapi...  Read Full »

Does lingering tooth pain indicate pulp infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lingering toothache in the lower left central incisor. Are there any problems with the pulp of that tooth?  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be calm. Thanks for the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). See, it seems to be internal resorption in one of your teeth that is left central incisor. The teeth are showing dilaceration also. I suggest you get RCT (Root canal treatment) d...  Read Full »

What are the painless methods to treat a tooth with dental caries?

Query: I just had a root canal and it was a traumatizing experience. After an hour of trying to get me numb, my endodontist got very frustrated and said to me “there’s a maximum amount of Novocain you can give someone. I can’t give you any more. You’re manifesting this pain by being...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist, Periodontist

Answer: hello dear, please be calm. thanks for sending the pics. I totally agree with you that RCT is definitely a painless procedure and in case anaesthesia was not effective the endodontist would have postponed the case and given you medications. The techniques of anaesthesia range from intraligamentary...  Read Full »

Why is there a radiolucent area around the molars of my mandible?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an x-ray that shows a radiolucent area around the mandible molars, asymptomatic, with no pain. It was discovered accidentally. As far as I am aware, all the teeth are vital. Even though they are vital, my dentist says that I may have to remove all my molars. Please can you look an...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lesion shows radiolucency in the second premolar and the first and second lower molar. In my opinion, it is concerned you need to visit an endodontist. The root canal treatment is the best choice in the first place; most of the time, cystic lesions heal with such in...  Read Full »

What causes constant pulsatile tooth pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have constant pain in my front tooth (11). I have not had any trauma to it as of I aware and I take good care of my teeth. I do not have gum disease. There may be a tiny bit of gum recession due to over brushing. The ache is constant. I do not get any pain from cold or hot food or drink...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tooth pain you are experiencing is indicative of pulpitis that is there is inflammation of the living part of your tooth. It may or may not be irreversible. It would be clearer if you could answer a few more questions. When did the pain start? How long has it been? Ho...  Read Full »

Is root canal the correct treatment option for an infected tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my lower right side first molar extraction about a month ago. My dentist prescribed a course of antibiotics. The pain persisted after I finished the course of antibiotics and so the dentist again prescribed a five day antibiotic course. A week went by with no pain and then the pain ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern regarding to dental health. First of all, I would like to suggest you go for a clinical examination of an affected area. If there is a presence of plaque or calculus near the second molar of lower right side, then go for scaling. If there is...  Read Full »

Why is my root canal treated tooth paining?

Query: Hi doctor, I am receiving root canal treatment on the right side 5th teeth. Yesterday, my doctor has completed till the second step. Now, I am unable to control the pain even after taking the tablets prescribed by him. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There should be no pain after the second step. You should go back to your dentist and tell him there is severe pain. Maybe the medication he put inside has gone beyond the root. I need an x-ray to confirm. If the pain does not go away today also, then you need to red...  Read Full »

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it ha...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get an implant done in broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a severe toothache and after getting permanent tooth filling done tiny pieces of tooth started to break. Now completely the tooth is fallen and when consulted a doctor he told dental implant of the tooth must be done because RCT can be done but as there is no root so the cap mig...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am unable to understand your question completely. If there was no root then how was the filling done? And which tooth are you concerned about? Answer me with a photograph of the same in your follow up. As far your problem is concerned, permanent fillings do not come ...  Read Full »

My root canal filling fell out. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a root canal and the filling fell off. I am too afraid of dentists. Hence, I did not go back to get a permanent filling. How bad can it be now? It has been a year. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me start by telling you that if you have been to the dentist and sat through the root canal procedure then getting a filling should be a cake walk. Without a filling covering a root canal filled tooth, either the root canal will fail or the tooth might just b...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.