Q. Will an electric toothbrush cause gum recession?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I do not have any problems with teeth, and tooth sensitivity is not something I suffer from, but my molars have a little gum recession. It may be because of my wisdom teeth which I took out a couple of years ago. Do I have anything to worry about this mild recession? I brush with an electric toothbrush, floss, and use mouthwash every day. Kindly help.

#

I had gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There is a recession problem, and if this is not taken seriously, it can result in tooth and bone loss. I advise you;

1. Stop electric brush if you are not handicapped and if you cannot control its use on teeth. It should be used on teeth, not on gums, and not for more than two to three minutes with gentle pressure.

2. Use an ultra-soft toothbrush like Stim ultra soft or ultra-soft Thermoseal toothbrush and brush in a circular motion around teeth gently for not more than five minutes. Do not brush on gums.

3. Do not brush daily from the same area; switch from right to left and vice versa and similarly from upper to lower arch.

4. Using your fingers, try to massage gums in the area of recession and bring the massage motion from gums to teeth.

5. Get an X-ray done in the area to see any bone loss.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the recession mild or severe?

#

This is progressing to a severe condition. If you do not take care, it will gradually result in tooth loss. I suggest getting an X-ray done to see the amount of bone loss around it. It can be corrected easily with the flap advancement procedure.

|