Q. As I faced two miscarriages, I had thrombophilia panel test. Is there anything suspicious?

Dr. Kks

I am a 36-year-old female. I had two chemical pregnancies this year, and I am childless. Due to my age, I decided to investigate more. The thrombophilia panel test results recommended me to see a hematologist. I have positive results (heterozygous) for MTHFR C677T, PAI 4G by 5G, AGT M235T, factor XIII Val34Leu, and fibrinogen 455 G by A. Will I need special treatment for a future pregnancy? Please help me.

Dr. Kks

General Medicine Hematology Internal Medicine
#

I have reviewed your case. It seems that you had two miscarriages. So, you have to know a little detail about your condition and to understand thrombophilia. The risk of abortion is none to minimal in normal pregnancy whereas intermediate and high in heterozygous and homozygous mutation respectively.

In your case, as you have twice pregnancy failure, I have two recommendations. Try to do APLA test (antiphospholipid antibody workup) which is just the extension of thrombophilia work up. During future pregnancy, usually in your case, we need to give some medications which can maintain your blood flow, and it can prevent the micro clot formation in the placental blood vessels, and hence the chances of abortion will get decreased.

These drugs are needed to be prescribed by your hematologist (low molecular weight Heparin and Warfarin). You can discuss with your hematologist regarding the test suggested and about the drugs that may help you in future pregnancies.

|