Q. My semen is reddish brown in color. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Sandeep P
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

I am a 35 year old male. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen was brownish. Again yesterday and today, it is the same reddish-brown, and I think it is more watery than usual. I do not have any other symptoms. I do have a varicocele, but I do not think this condition is related to varicocele. Should I be concerned?

#

The reddish-brown color of the semen indicates a condition called hematospermia. The most common cause for this condition is idiopathic inflammation of the prostate or seminal vesicles. Do you have any feeling of dysuria (difficulty in urination or painful urination) or incomplete voiding?

So, a workup for this condition is digital rectal examination to feel your prostate and seminal vesicles and also PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) level. We usually treat idiopathic hematospermia with a Quinolone antibiotic for four weeks (to take care of any prostatic infection). We also give a two-month course of Alfuzosin and Dutasteride combination.

|