Q. My semen is reddish brown in color. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Sandeep P
Published on Nov 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

I am a 35 year old male. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen was brownish. Again yesterday and today, it is the same reddish-brown, and I think it is more watery than usual. I do not have any other symptoms. I do have a varicocele, but I do not think this condition is related to varicocele. Should I be concerned?

#

The reddish-brown color of the semen indicates a condition called hematospermia. The most common cause for this condition is idiopathic inflammation of the prostate or seminal vesicles. Do you have any feeling of dysuria (difficulty in urination or painful urination) or incomplete voiding?

So, a workup for this condition is digital rectal examination to feel your prostate and seminal vesicles and also PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) level. We usually treat idiopathic hematospermia with a Quinolone antibiotic for four weeks (to take care of any prostatic infection). We also give a two-month course of Alfuzosin and Dutasteride combination.

What are my chances of becoming a father?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male married for five years. My wife and I are trying for a baby for the last two and a half years with no luck. My wife had gone for an HSG and other tests and her reports are all good. My semen analysis was fine too. We had gone for IUI thrice with no luck. Now, f...  Read Full »

Should I undergo varicocelectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I have no BP, diabetes or thyroid problems. Last month, I was diagnosed with grade 1 varicocele. I consulted my home town doctor for treatments, and he prescribed few medicines. However, he did not say anything to my queries. Is my testicles size normal? I am...  Read Full »