Q. My daughter's right eye turned red a week ago. What should I do?

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2021

My four-old-daughter has her right eye turned red. It has been a week now. A blow-up image was taken by my phone and it shows it as abrasion. Due to pandemics, I am unable to go to hospital. As a primary care, I used Refresh eyedrops thrice daily. She has some improvement in her redness but it is not gone completely. I can see a tiny bubble-like growth. What to do?

#

I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have gone through the sent images. The first image looks like a corneal abrasion and the second one was too blurred and so I was not able to see the bubble. Ideally, an abrasion gets healed within 24 to 48 hours. If you are able to send another photo as the first one, then it is better to guide you further. When abrasion involves deep layers of the cornea, it leaves a permanent mark called corneal opacity. Another possibility of having a visible lesion on a previously damaged cornea can be an infection. An infection of abrasion can cause redness, watering, and intolerance to bright lights. Please mention whether your daughter have these symptoms. Kindly consult an ophthalmologist soon and start taking antibiotic eye drops like Tobramycin. Use it every two hours from the morning to night and use Moxifloxacin eye ointment at night for a week.

|