Q. What can cause redness and itching of the eye since two years?

Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale

A 10 year old boy I know seems to have an eye allergy. The redness of the eyes started when he was eight. He rubs his eyes as they itch him, especially during sunset and before bedtime. His eyesight has been examined and found to be normal. His uncle, 32 years old, had the same issue and became fine only when he turned 21 years old, in spite of the medication he used to take. Can such a case be treated at this age, that is, between 10 and 21 years old? What is the best medication plan? Can you suggest eye drops that can reduce the redness and itchiness of the eye?Attached herewith are some snaps of the patient's eyes and the medication he is currently using.

#

• The photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) do suggest that he is suffering from allergic conjunctivitis. It is treated with steroid eye drops and anti allergic eyedrops and lubricating eye drops. But, the dose has to be titrated by an eye doctor after thorough examination only.
  • Along with the medical treatment, try washing the face frequently with simple water. Taking a cold compress will relieve the itching. Avoid rubbing the eyes with the fingers.
  • The allergy will gradually subside with age.

for more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|