Q. I have itchy eyes and blurring of vision. What could it be?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Jul 08, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I think I have a problem with my cornea. I had itchy eyes (due to hay fever) last week. During that time, I had a gritty feeling in my right eye which made me rub my eyes. It got really sore and small thread-like materials are coming out of my eye. I am scared if it is part of my cornea shedding off. My vision is blurring out since three days. What do you think it is and what should I do?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Evaluation of your history indicates that you are having allergic conjunctivitis with probable involvement of cornea resulting in keratoconjunctivitis. The thread-like material coming out of the eyes indicate ropy discharge which is typically seen in allergic conjunctivitis. No need to worry, as it is not part of the cornea.

The treatment of this condition is the use of anti-allergic eye drops like Olopatadine or Sodium cromoglycate.

Since the cornea is involved, you need to use artificial tears eye drops and antibiotic eye drops to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

Attach a picture of the affected eye if possible.

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online to confirm the diagnosis --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »

Why are my eyes dry, pain, and irritate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a student, and I stay in a highly polluted area. I got shifted here five months ago. Early in the morning as soon as I wake up for five to ten minutes, my eyes start paining and irritating. Few times it also turns red. Due to this I could not wake up on time and also feel uncomforta...  Read Full »