Q. I have redness, burning and itching in skin after using a new cosmetic product. Please help.

Dr. Bincy Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I tried a new skincare range called Gopure and American Company. Half an hour later, I developed redness, burning, itching, and swelling. I have discontinued the use and used ice and cold water to relieve symptoms. After four days, my skin is less painful. The company suggests watering down two of the products. I am reluctant to do so. What would you advise?

#

It seems that the new skin range that you tried is not suiting your skin. It is important to know what all products you were using and the ingredients in these preparations. If it was a concentrate which had to be diluted and used then the redness and burning would be because of the irritant dermatitis. This could happen to anyone and the irritation of the skin is due to the very high concentration of ingredients in it. This kind of reaction will not happen if you dilute the preparation as advised by the manufacturer and use the product. Sometimes it can also be due to allergy to some components and this will recur every time you reuse the product.

Once the skin is back to normal you can try testing the product by applying a small amount of the diluted product on the skin behind your ear or on the skin of the inner forearm. Observe the area for 24 hours. If you develop any itching, irritation, or redness it may indicate allergy to some ingredients. Further patch testing can then be advised to know the exact allergen. And it will be advisable to avoid the product in that case.

|