HomeAnswersInternal Medicineredness of skinI am experiencing soreness and moisture in my inner thigh. Why?

What could be the cause of soreness and redness in inner thigh?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 16, 2024
Reviewed AtMarch 16, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

For a couple of days, my inner thigh near my pubis has been sore and feels almost wet. The skin is red and hurts to touch. I am overweight so I think my skin has rubbed together, I am not a smoker or drinker. Kindly help.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

Based on your description, it sounds like you may have an infection or irritation in the pubic area known as intertrigo. This condition is commonly seen in overweight individuals, as the skin folds can trap moisture and bacteria, leading to inflammation and discomfort.

To manage intertrigo, follow the below tips:

  1. Keep the Area Clean and Dry:Gently wash the affected area with soap and water, then pat it dry with a clean towel. Avoid using harsh soaps or scrubbing too vigorously, as this can further irritate the skin.

  2. Apply a Barrier Cream: Use a cream or ointment that helps to protect the skin from further irritation and moisture. Look for products that contain zinc oxide, which can help to soothe and heal the skin.

  3. Avoid Tight-Fitting Clothing: Wear loose-fitting clothing that allows air to circulate around the affected area. This can help to prevent further irritation and promote healing.

  4. Practice Good Hygiene: Wash your hands frequently to prevent spreading any infection to other areas of your body.

  5. Consider Antibiotics: If the infection is severe or accompanied by fever or other symptoms, your doctor may recommend antibiotics to help clear the infection.

  6. Maintain a Healthy Weight: Losing weight can help to reduce skin folds and improve overall hygiene, which can help to prevent future episodes of intertrigo.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them, and take the medication with their consent.

I hope this information will help you.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Dr. Vandana Andrews

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

overweightredness of skin

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy