Q. I had measles in childhood. Will I transmit the infection now?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

One of my colleagues was diagnosed with measles. I had measles in my childhood. But my doubt is whether it can spread to my 2 months old granddaughter through me? Will I transmit the infection?

#

• Once you are infected with measles, there is no chance of reinfection in you.
  • Antibodies already present in your body will give you lifelong immunity. There will not be any active infection in you.
  • There is no possibility of you infecting others. So, you will not transmit it to the child.
  • You can get your child vaccinated against measles. It is usually given in the immunization schedule. If given already then do not worry.

For further doubts consult a preventive medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/preventive-medicine-physician

| 

Can MMR and varicella vaccines cause autism in my 15-month-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-month-old son was vaccinated with measles vaccine at nine months. Now, he will be vaccinated with MMR and varicella on the same day. I am afraid of the adverse side effects of the MMR vaccine. My son is not premature nor underweight. But after birth, the doctor treated my s...  Read Full »

When is it safe to give measles vaccine if the child already has chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 9 months old. His measles vaccine is pending and he got chickenpox just 10 days before. Is it safe to give measles vaccine today?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Preventive Medicine Physician Now