Q. Is it safe to give measles vaccine when my child has chickenpox already?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 19, 2019

My baby is 9 months old. His measles vaccine is pending and he got chickenpox just 10 days before. Is it safe to give measles vaccine today?

#

Chickenpox and measles are similar kind of diseases, categorized as viral infections with a rash. In such a scenario, it is better to give measles vaccine one month after full recovery from chickenpox. It is not a problem to give measles vaccine after a month.

Until then see that your child is not exposed in public places, or other kids with infection do not come near him. Nowadays, the vaccination schedule has changed to MMR, instead of measles vaccine at 9 months.

So, is MMR a substitute of measles vaccine?

#

MMR stands for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. We used to give this vaccine at 15 months. Now, according to the latest guidelines, it is being given at 9 completed months itself.

And you need not give chickenpox vaccine as he already has got the infection. This itself provides long term immunity.

|