Q. Why are there pain and sensitivity in root canal treated tooth?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I had a root canal over a year ago, had a cap put on and no problems. A month ago it was pulled off when I ate candy. It was glued back on. Yesterday, the tooth suddenly felt different. It feels sensitive when pressure is applied and sometimes it feels to be throbbing under the cap.

#

Throbbing pain or sensitivity in a root canal treated tooth is an indication of re-infection in it. Sometimes the nerves regenerate from the apical end and start causing infection, it may happen due to food stuck around margins of gums for a long time, etc. There are two lines of treatment to it.

1. Medications- Take Augmentin 625 mg, tablet Metronidazole 400 mg and Brufen 400 mg for five days, twice a day. It will heal the infection and there will be no need for further treatment, your tooth will be back to normal.

2. If infection recurs after medicine regime like in 2 or 6 months with severe pain then cap will be removed for a while, re-endo or root canal treatment will be done, that is, deep cleaning of roots will be done and then it will be sealed again once infection is gone and tooth cap will be put again.

There is also a third option that is a severe one, if root canal treated tooth is stuck with it then sometimes we have no option left except for extraction. Provide me with clinical picture and radiograph of your tooth so that I can exactly recommend you what should you opt for after medications.

|