Q. Why are there pain and sensitivity in root canal treated tooth?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Feb 06, 2019

I had a root canal over a year ago, had a cap put on and no problems. A month ago it was pulled off when I ate candy. It was glued back on. Yesterday, the tooth suddenly felt different. It feels sensitive when pressure is applied and sometimes it feels to be throbbing under the cap.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

Throbbing pain or sensitivity in a root canal treated tooth is an indication of re-infection in it. Sometimes the nerves regenerate from the apical end and start causing infection, it may happen due to food stuck around margins of gums for a long time, etc. There are two lines of treatment to it.

1. Medications- Take Augmentin 625 mg, tablet Metronidazole 400 mg and Brufen 400 mg for five days, twice a day. It will heal the infection and there will be no need for further treatment, your tooth will be back to normal.

2. If infection recurs after medicine regime like in 2 or 6 months with severe pain then cap will be removed for a while, re-endo or root canal treatment will be done, that is, deep cleaning of roots will be done and then it will be sealed again once infection is gone and tooth cap will be put again.

There is also a third option that is a severe one, if root canal treated tooth is stuck with it then sometimes we have no option left except for extraction. Provide me with clinical picture and radiograph of your tooth so that I can exactly recommend you what should you opt for after medications.

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »

How to treat the infected tooth present with pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lot of pain on my right side upper and lower jaw. I have a wisdom tooth on the upper jaw. Before two days, the tooth directly below the wisdom tooth got broken, and it is causing pain. I am scared of going to the dentist. What can I do now? Please help me.  Read Full »

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full »