Q. Why is the resting heart rate low in spite of pacemaker?

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu
Published on Jul 04, 2018

My 78 year old father has had a pacemaker for five years. The pacemaker is working.

But his heart is becoming weaker and more dependent on the pacemaker.

He now has a low resting heart rate. What causes this? What is the treatment?

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Cardiology
#

• Usually, if the pacemaker is working, then the heartbeat will be the set rate of the pacemaker machine.

You can send me the reports.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My resting heart rate is increased. Am I at the risk for a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who is fit and active. I do not drink alcohol or take illegal drugs. I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day and drink some coffee and tea, about two or three cups a day. I do not like energy drinks, so I never take them. I am not on any medication. About three we...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main concern seems to be an increase in resting heart rate and the presence of heart murmurs. Tea, tobacco, and caffeine together increase the heart rate. The fact that your father suffered a heart attack seems to be troubling your mind, causing persiste...  Read Full

Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the re...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are fine. Even heart issue of sinus bradycardia appears to be fine. This is likely an age related change and slowing of the heart rate. I guess you do not have any symptoms o...  Read Full

I am a pacemaker-dependent individual. What are my chances of survival?

Query: Hello doctor, I will try to be brief. I am a 49 year old female who has been pacemaker dependent for several years. Due to cardiomyopathy EF of 30 %, BNP of 186, and a cardiac event resulting in high troponin. I eventually was switched to a biventricular pacemaker/defibrillator. I had an echo last ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Although your ejection fraction is now 50%, your BNP (brain natriuretic peptide) value is high which is the reason you are experiencing edema and dyspnea. Increased BNP causes a fluid and pressure increase in your heart, which in turn mani...  Read Full