Q. Do I need pacemaker based on my EKG reports?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Mar 14, 2019

I am a 37-year-old female, 140 lbs 5’5". I saw a new cardiologist yesterday and my EKG results. Results said left axis deviation, LAPB, RBBB. I asked her if I have a bundle branch block and she said no because only the two heartbeats show it and the rest of the EKG was normal. I am worried whether I need a pacemaker if I have blocks now. What is she trying to say?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

I guess you mean LAFB and not LAPB. According to you, you already have RBBB and this time the EKG strip read LAFB. Many times the EKG strips read the EKG strip wrongly. You should believe in your cardiologist as humans are needed to interpret the EKG with some specific criteria, to fit the EKG as normal or some pathology.

While LAFB stands for left anterior fascicular block, there is no term such as LAPB in my knowledge. The other term is LPFB, which stands for the left posterior fascicular block. The LPFB is extremely rare and usually occurs in isolation. It would be nice if you could post the picture of your EKG so that I could give a second opinion. Also when RBBB is present in combination with the other two (either LAFB or LPFB) is called bifascicular block. If the bifascicular block is present chronically in a patient it has a relatively low risk of progression to a high degree block.

It also said left axis deviation on my EKG. What does that mean?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

Axis in an EKG is determined by a variable on the strip which is known as QRS complex. Normally the QRS axis falls in between -30° to +90°, anything beyond -30° is called as left axis deviation. The most common cause of LAD is a hemiblock (left anterior fascicular block). It can be present in some individuals normally also. If you had hypertension in the past, it could be due to left ventricular hypertrophy (which is a complication of long term hypertension).

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full

Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortn...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The interpretation you saw was a machine interpretation and they sometimes drive us crazy. Your ECG (electrocardiogram) is absolutely fine. However, get an ECG for a final confirmation. For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq....  Read Full