Q. I have leg restlessness, tiredness, and sleepiness altogether. Why is it so?

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2019

I feel my legs are restless and lack energy. I am feeling tired with frequent yawning and sleepiness in daytime. Sometimes, I feel nervous and vertigo while walking. Please suggest a medicine. I had Escitalopram 10 mg bd, but it did not work well. My other medication list is attached for your reference.

#

The symptoms described by you are symptoms of depression which are due to low dopamine levels. Escitalopram increases serotonin levels and there is a dopamine deficit remaining in most patients. My advice would be to add Bupropion (Bupron XL) 150 mg to existing drugs. You can make it 300 mg after a week if necessary.

Do not stop Escitalopram. This should make you feel fresh and energetic. If your leg restlessness remains, ask your physician if you can take a beta blocker along with current medicine. Take care.

Specify probable causes if any.

Major depression, dopamine deficit.

Tablet Bupron XL 150 mg in the morning along with previous medicine.

How long should I take Bupron XL 150 mg? Because of long-term use, can there be any side effect from this medicine?

#

The duration of treatment for depression is decided by number of episodes, severity of depression, family history, etc. If it is your second episode, I will advice treatment for two years.

It is avoided in patients with epilepsy. As you do not have epilepsy, it is safe for long-term use. You should take Bupropion as long as you are taking Escitalopram.

|