Q. I am 17 years old and my retained primary tooth is loose. What to do?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Nov 30, 2019

I am 17 years old. I have a loose tooth that I believe to be one of my primary teeth. My questions are, does that make it an over-retained primary tooth? If it is an over-retained primary tooth, does that mean that if it falls out, will my permanent tooth will grow in or is it possible that I may have something like ankylosis? I feel no pain in the tooth. Please suggest.

#

First of all, based on your age, it must be definitely a retained deciduous or primary tooth as it is mobile, because rarely in this age tooth mobility can occur (unless you have any gum disease). So, the treatment for the retained tooth is removal. Kindly send me a picture of the tooth. If possible a periapical radiograph or OPG (orthopantomogram) to confirm the diagnosis.

Regarding your successor or follow up permanent teeth, by this age you must have 28 teeth, apart from your retained milk tooth. The OPG or periapical radiograph will help to check the position of the permanent tooth if it has not erupted, which will help in diagnosing and planning the treatment as well. Coming on to your ankylosis section, since it is mobile, I guess it is not ankylosed. But, in any case, if it is a deciduous tooth, you have to get it removed. Do not worry. You will be fine. You can follow up with the image and radiograph, if possible.

OPG, IOPA (intraoral periapical radiograph).

| 

Why is there tooth sensitivity even after getting a filling done?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a filling done last week on my distal lateral incisor. It was pretty sensitive for a few days but it dissipated. This morning, after I brushed and flossed, the sensitivity to cold air returned and was getting progressively worse with throbbing and a headache. I took four 200 mg ...  Read Full »

Can this hard and tender lump inside my lower cheek be cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old. Just under my right jawline, I had a tender pain, a couple days later it had swelled. Now, that has gone down but there seems to be a bump inside my lower cheek where the gums meet the cheek. It seems thick or hard, not really moveable and more on the inside of the ch...  Read Full »

Dental Schedule For Children To Prevent Future Dental Problems

Article Overview: This article emphasizes that, adequate care of the milk teeth till the child reaches 15 years will reduce many possible dental problems and save you money later!!! Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Pedodontist

All the dental problems which are found in an average human being can be prevented if proper timely intervention is done. Every child should be made familiar with a dentist at an early age and not just when he is having pain or discomfort. A child should be brought to a dentist for the f...  Read Article