Q. Is it advisable to wear old glasses after retinal detachment surgery?

Dr. Arnab Pal

Can I wear my old glasses after my retinal detachent surgery? The surgery was done 10 days back.

#

You have refractive power of eyes and hence the glass power is likely to change after a RD surgery due to a number of causes. Firstly, the liquid inside your eye is removed (vitrectomy) in retina surgery and replaced by a gas or a silicon oil. All these changes the refractive power of eyes. Anyhow the surgeon will wait atleast a month after surgery to even think of checking eye glass power.Its too soon to think of glasses.

Secondly, in a young man like you, RD surgery is usually done with a scleral buckle which again changes the refractive power of the eyes. My suggestion is to not to think about eye glass power or vision now only after a week. It is most likely to gradually improve over a month and then you have to check power and change glasses.

|