Q. Could different blood group of a couple create problem in having a baby?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

I am 28 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have a very good understanding. But, we have different blood group. Mine is B positive and she is AB negative. Since the blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having a different blood group could create problems in the future generation? What will be the problems in future for us to have a baby? How can we get rid of problems during that time? Please give me some explanation for this. Are there any precautions that need to consider for having a baby?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• You being Rh positive and she is Rh negative, if the baby is Rh positive with any blood group, your girlfriend will require Rh immunization during any failed or complete pregnancy.
  • This is quite common and you need to remember about this, whenever she is pregnant. At all other times, it is normal and there is nothing else to worry.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|