Q. Me and my fiance have same blood group. Will it affect our baby?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I am 30 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have very good understanding. But, we have the same blood group that is O positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having same positive blood group could create problems for future generation? My father is very concerned about this. He talked with several doctors and they ensured that it could create problem. And they do not want me to marry this girl. I talked with another doctor, she replied me like it is not a big problem.

I am in great trouble right now, how could I give clear explanation to my father about this issue. My father told me he knows two couples of same positive blood group who has been married for 10 years without having baby. And doctors could not find any problems for both men and women. But their blood immune system did not match to have a baby.

I have these questions:

• Do the same blood group create problem? If yes then what basically create problems?
  • Are there any precautions that need to consider for having baby after getting married with same blood group?
  • Are the diseases like thalassemia occurring because of parent's rhesus factors?

One thing to clarify to clarify is that we are two brothers and two sisters and all the six members of my family have same blood group O positive. My elder sister got baby after 8 years and her husband is B positive. And my younger sister, she always gets sick since her antibody of her blood cell might not strong enough to fight disease.

My father explained, due to my parents have same blood group; my sisters might got those above explained problems. I will explain my family based on your explanation.

Thank you in advance.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

There are two major blood group systems and more than 400 minor blood group systems.

The major blood group systems are ABO system and Rhesus system, which are important. In the ABO system, there is A, B, AB and O. While in Rhesus, if it is present, it is positive and if not then negative.

• You are O blood group with rhesus positive. O positive is one of the commonest and the oldest blood group and is found in more than 50% of the individuals in the world.
  • Now regarding the girl known to you, if she is a close relative (second or third-degree relative) then the marriage can create a reduced genetic pool. Hence, future kid may have genetic defects or you might not have kids at all due to reduced genetic pool. It is not related to blood group.
  • There are so many common genes amongst relatives and some are suppressed. So, when they get married, these suppressed may get activated and genetic abnormalities or diseases which secondary to suppressed immune system can be seen.

If the girl is not a relative then blood group is hardly a concern. If both are O positive, it would not matter.

If she is a relative, get genetic tests to rule out any common diseases, which can affect the future kid. This test is called as genetic counseling. Only among close relatives, the immune system behaves dangerously due to reduced genetic pool.

To conclude, having a common blood group is not a problem. She can donate blood to you and you to her in emergencies just like your siblings can. No other complications with same blood group.

If necessary in case of second or third-degree​ relative then genetic counselling

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Will there be any problem in pregnancy if the couple have same blood group?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I am willing to marry my childhood friend. She is elder than me by five months, and our blood group is same, which is AB positive. Here are my questions: Will there be any problem during pregnancy? Any tests required to be done for ensuring no problem in future...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medical condition that is troubling is due to Rh incompatibility. There is no possibility of that in your case as you both are AB positive and hence, your blood groups are compatible. There is no problem medically. You need not go for any tests too. All the b...  Read Full

What diet will you recommend for a beta major thalassemia patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 2.5 years old, is suffering from beta major thalassemia. From her 3 months of age, blood has been transfused either once in 30 or 45 days after checking the blood level. I would request you to kindly advise a good and healthy food diet. Is there any important daily die...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Thalassemia is a disease due to reduced globin production in the hemoglobin part of RBC (red blood cells). It is not due to nutritional deficiency, but due to inherited mutation abnormalities. Yes, nutrition requires improvem...  Read Full

Mine and my wife's blood group is B. Will it cause any problem in our married life?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two major blood group systems. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, AB.  Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative. You have not mentioned th...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now