Q. My blood group is positive and my fiance's is negative. What problem do we need to face?

Published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

My blood group is B positive. I am going to marry a person with B negative blood group. Is there any problem?

Hematology Pathology
#

I can understand your concern.

From history, I hope you are telling that you (male) is B positive and your fiance (female) is B negative.

• According to Rh grouping, a person can have Rh positive or Rh negative group. You both can marry and can produce a normal child. But, you have to take care in your first pregnancy as follows.
  • When in pregnancy, if the mother is Rh negative and the fetus is Rh positive then the fetus RBC can enter into mother's circulation and so the mother can develop an antibody against fetus Rh positive cell. It is called sensitization.

It will not cause a problem in first pregnancy but in second pregnancy severe hemolytic disease of the newborn can occur. So, we have to prevent this sensitization when she will be pregnant.

• For that during first pregnancy intramuscular injection of Rh immunoglobulin should be given at 28 weeks of pregnancy. After delivery, fetus blood group was done and if fetus Rh positive then an extra dose of Rh immunoglobulin given.

So, just keep this in mind and in first pregnancy of your wife (she is having a negative group as per history), she should be given Rh(D) immunoglobulin injections in the antenatal period at 28 week of gestation.

In addition, before marriage, you both should be investigated for thalassemia minor status.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Negative Blood Group and Pregnancy Rh Incompatibility

Article Overview: This article gives a brief knowledge about Rh negative blood group and pregnancy complications, and preventions in simple terms. Read Article

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

What Is Rh Factor? There are mainly four blood groups, namely A, B, O, and AB. There is a subtype of each as positive and negative blood groups, namely A +ve, A -ve, B +ve, B -ve, etc. The subtype gets decided by the Rh factor (rhesus), an antigen present on the red blood cells. When it is present,...  Read Article

Is it safe to use Rhogam shot? Does it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is pregnant. She is O negative, and she has a Jka antigen. They want to give her a Rhogam shot this weekend. I know it is a blood product. Is it safe?  Read Full »

What can be the reason for IUFD?

Query: Hi doctor, This is about my wife, who had unfortunate IUFD, cardiomyopathy and DIC. She had an absolute normal pregnancy till 9th month. She had no BP, diabetes or other issues throughout and even today. Only issue, she has is migraine and for which she takes Diclogesic. So, it happened on a day of...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now