Q. My blood group is positive and my fiance's is negative. What problem do we need to face?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

My blood group is B positive. I am going to marry a person with B negative blood group. Is there any problem?

#

I can understand your concern.

From history, I hope you are telling that you (male) is B positive and your fiance (female) is B negative.

• According to Rh grouping, a person can have Rh positive or Rh negative group. You both can marry and can produce a normal child. But, you have to take care in your first pregnancy as follows.
  • When in pregnancy, if the mother is Rh negative and the fetus is Rh positive then the fetus RBC can enter into mother's circulation and so the mother can develop an antibody against fetus Rh positive cell. It is called sensitization.

It will not cause a problem in first pregnancy but in second pregnancy severe hemolytic disease of the newborn can occur. So, we have to prevent this sensitization when she will be pregnant.

• For that during first pregnancy intramuscular injection of Rh immunoglobulin should be given at 28 weeks of pregnancy. After delivery, fetus blood group was done and if fetus Rh positive then an extra dose of Rh immunoglobulin given.

So, just keep this in mind and in first pregnancy of your wife (she is having a negative group as per history), she should be given Rh(D) immunoglobulin injections in the antenatal period at 28 week of gestation.

In addition, before marriage, you both should be investigated for thalassemia minor status.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|