Q. How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Dr. Divya Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2022

My primary care physician said that I might have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1, and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA if that is what I have.

#

Yes, the chances of having RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or developing it are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP and an increased number of swollen and tender joints are the other indicators. However, a good prognosis is associated with the early detection and treatment of this disease. I am sure you will be referred to a rheumatologist, who can start you on the appropriate treatment.

I hope that answers your query.

I have an appointment with a rheumatologist late next month. Getting one out here is tough. Is there anything I can do to be more comfortable until I get to see the rheumatologist?

#

You can continue with Prednisolone for relief. You can do gentle exercises for your joints. Stay away from cigarette smoking. Symptomatic measures like hot fermentation and pain gels can help. Physiotherapy may also help.

|