Q. How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Dr. Divya Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2022

My primary care physician said that I might have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1, and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA if that is what I have.

#

Yes, the chances of having RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or developing it are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP and an increased number of swollen and tender joints are the other indicators. However, a good prognosis is associated with the early detection and treatment of this disease. I am sure you will be referred to a rheumatologist, who can start you on the appropriate treatment.

I hope that answers your query.

I have an appointment with a rheumatologist late next month. Getting one, out here, is tough. Is there anything I can do in the meantime, to be more comfortable, until I get to see the rheumatologist.

#

• You can continue with Prednisolone for relief.
  • You can do gentle exercises for your joints.
  • Symptomatic measures like hot fomentation and pain gels can help.
  • Physiotherapy may also help.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|