Q. I have sharp pain in my ribs when I am breathing. How can I get relieved?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

While working out today, I was doing a shoulder press. I was doing it too fast, and at one point, I got a sharp pain in my back, near where my ribs meet my spine. Since then, I am also having very sharp pain when inhaling and exhaling, as well as when rotating my torso or neck. Should I need to go for urgent care? Currently, I am taking Zyrtec, Amino acid supplements for energy and muscle recovery, hormonal IUD.

#

It looks like you have muscle spasm or strain. You can use over-the-counter Motrin 600 mg (Ibuprofen) twice or thrice a day with the meal for two to three days and there are topical analgesics available for the gentle massage. It will get better within two to three days. If it does not get relieved, you can see your doctor. Take rest from the shoulder exercise for a week. Get immediate help if you feel that this pain is significantly disturbing breathing activity.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|