Q. Am I having subdural hematoma or recovery from head trauma?

Dr. Aida Quka

I fell to the side of car four months back and have symptoms of memory problems. Also, some mental confusion, lights, and difficulty reading. No headaches. I did have an odd spell of paraesthesia that lasted five minutes a week or so after head injury. I inched better. Then next month I fell onto stomach in the parking lot. There were no additional symptoms. Then four weeks ago bumped head on the headboard of bed bending over to get something that fell behind it. No marks but I do have head pain at top of the head but mainly a burning type. This did start until a couple days later perhaps I have nausea but this also started later about two weeks. Seems to be better if I do not think about the head and leave an hour after eating before reclining. I had symptoms of pain all around the edge of chest pain and into center rib pain when breathing a month back. I had earlier in the week slight sore throat. Later, I coughed a bunch of green stuff out. I also found that I was running a high blood pressure even for about 10 days after the end of the symptoms. I stayed in bed in order to keep the blood pressure down. Still some discomfort even this week. I had electrocardiogram last week that showed no problem. I have sleep apnea. Then 10 days ago I was taking my sleep apnea mask off and was walking to the bathroom and slipped and fell backward into a chair semi-padded lightly bonking my head.

I am 62 years old and blood pressure normal. Eyes are normal. Like I said intermittent nausea. Reading skills up to 90 %. I did a voice change. I am talking about hire registry. This seems to happen about four weeks ago. Also, my sense of smell has improved recently. I have continual dry mouth possibly because of stress. I do not have vomiting. No slurred speech, occasional word misplacement, no unusual weakness. Have to spend half my time in bed as I felt it was best to protect my head not able to drive all around with it so basically for the last month 75 % of the time I have been in bed which I hate. I do also have an ear infection. This has been going on for two years off and on. And in this time frame, it has been mainly a burning pain in the right ear which is also the same side of my head which I bumped originally four months back. I get tense. I have tried drops in the few homeopathic remedies Natrum sulphuricum. I have also lost some weight not a lot but 5 lbs and a lot of it seems to be disconcertingly around my face. So my question would be do you think a subdural hematoma would be involved or perhaps just a continuing recovery of the original head trauma?

#

I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a dural hematoma. You should know that this disorder, usually causes progressive worsening symptoms like a headache, nausea, gait imbalances, limb numbness or weakness, somnolence and even seizures. So, as your symptoms are fluctuating in time, a subdural hematoma is less possible.

Dizziness is quite common due to a possible inner disorder or after a head concussion. You should know that head trauma can lead to an inner ear disorder which is called benign positional paroxysmal vertigo, which causes dizziness and falling. Anyway, I would recommend avoiding any repeated trauma and having some rest.

If your situation does not improve or even worsens, I would recommend going to the ER (emergency room) for a brain CT (computed tomography) scan to exclude a subdural hematoma (considering the fact that you have had repeated head trauma in the last months).

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|