Q. Could you comment on the rashes my partner has on his body?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

My husband is not willing to go to the doctor because he says it is a heat rash. It is there all the time. Could you please give me an idea of what we are dealing with. It does seem to get brighter when he is hot, but he also is a drinker.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I have noted the details about your husband and seen the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think your husband is suffering from modified tinea or ring worm infection. This is a fungal condition which is commoner in the hot climates. It also tends to invade surrounding areas. It can be itchy in some patients, and alcohol use is known to be one of the factors that can increase the probability of an individual to catch such an infection.

Under these circumstances, the following measures best help my patients,

1 To minimize sweating or working conditions in which sweat tends to accumulate over the skin.

2 Antifungal creams help invariable, and these usually contain Clotrimazole or Miconazole.

3 Anti allergic-like Cetirizine for itching.

4 Use of loose garments is recommended as these facilitate evaporation of sweat from body areas.

5 Finally, the role of good hygiene should not be underestimated.

I am sure with these facts available to you, and you are in a better position now to help him recover fast.

The Manifestation of Ringworm Infection and Its Treatment

Article Overview: I would like to ward off the most common misunderstanding among many people and that is ringworm is not an infection caused by any worm. Ringworm lesions are the most common and also one of the cosmetically annoying fungal lesions. To get to know the ringworm well, we need to go through the basics of it. Read Article

Dr. Narendra

Ringworm is a fungal infection, which is called tinea in medical terms. Ringworm, as the name suggests, is the name derived from the pattern of the lesion that develops in this disease. There is a ring-like lesion at one or more sites over the body. The sites could be anywhere in the body like scalp...  Read Article

What ayurvedic medicines can treat tinea cruris?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly tell me some ayurvedic drugs for tinea cruris. I had the disease last year but I am having the symptoms again. Itching has not gone completely. I have used Onabet cream. In the past, I have been on Tyza and Atarax. Please help.  Read Full »

Itching and Scabies

Article Overview: Itching is an unpleasant sensation, where an individual has a desire to scratch his or her body. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

What Is Itching? Itching is an unpleasant sensation, where an individual has a desire to scratch his or her body. Itching can be caused due to many reasons. We divide itching into two types depending upon the duration, acute and chronic. What Are the Types of Itching? Acute Itching Acute itching...  Read Article