Q. What are all the diseases that could be acquired from our pets and how to treat them?

Dr. Albana Greca
Published on Aug 13, 2019

What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

1. Toxoplasmosis is an infection from cats to human. We have to wash our hands, maintain cleanliness, and avoid contaminated food.

2. Ringworm can be contracted from spores that survive without a host. Personal hygiene and cleaning of clothes and utensils with hot water as preventive measures.

3. Campylobacter from cats to humans if not washing hands with water and soap after being in contact with cats or their feces.

4. Roundworm, cat parasite causing gastrointestinal problems and blindness if left untreated. Practicing proper hygienic measures can prevent infection.

5. Salmonella and giardia can occur through contaminated cat feces. Should practice proper hygienic measures.

| 

How do I know if I have listeria or toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

What are the possibilities of transmitting HIV through hand cuts?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask is it possible for me to transmit HIV through hand cut, (I have attached a picture) because I had anxiety when shaking hands. I am almost certainly HIV negative according to tests, but still anxious. Kindly advice.  Read Full »