Q. What are all the diseases that could be acquired from our pets and how to treat them?

Dr. Albana Greca
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

What diseases can we potentially catch from our pets and how to prevent and treat them?

Do you have a question on Disease Transmission or Ringworm Infections?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Albana Greca

MBBS., MMEDSC
Family Physician General Practitioner

1. Toxoplasmosis is an infection from cats to human. We have to wash our hands, maintain cleanliness, and avoid contaminated food.

2. Ringworm can be contracted from spores that survive without a host. Personal hygiene and cleaning of clothes and utensils with hot water as preventive measures.

3. Campylobacter from cats to humans if not washing hands with water and soap after being in contact with cats or their feces.

4. Roundworm, cat parasite causing gastrointestinal problems and blindness if left untreated. Practicing proper hygienic measures can prevent infection.

5. Salmonella and giardia can occur through contaminated cat feces. Should practice proper hygienic measures.

How do I know if I have listeria or toxoplasmosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full >>
Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is an active infection, then you can transmit the infection to the baby. Please note if you get any fever or flu like symptoms, then you need to investigate and treat. It is a very less likely possibility of the infection as the incubation period ranges from 24 ...  Read Full

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?
Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, once it has dried, virus is not transmitted and cannot spread the disease when it comes in contact with intact skin. Also, with drying, virus gets inactivated. Even in wet state, just contact of blood with intact skin (not mucosa), unlikely to transmit the virus ...  Read Full

What are the possibilities of transmitting HIV through hand cuts?
Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask is it possible for me to transmit HIV through hand cut, (I have attached a picture) because I had anxiety when shaking hands. I am almost certainly HIV negative according to tests, but still anxious. Kindly advice.  Read Full >>
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, unless you put your hands in HIV positive blood.  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now