Q. Can you look at my RCT X-ray and tell me if an infection is still present?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Two months ago, I had a root canal done on a lower molar by a general dentist. I have put off getting a crown on it for now to evaluate its healing. Last week, I noticed hot food causes a sensitive feeling coming from that area whereas the week before, I had pain in my jaw area. I am not sure if it was caused by the wisdom tooth, root canal or me grinding my teeth at night as they are all on the same side. I have X-rays of when the root canal was done and the more recent one that was taken after. I am not sure if the infection is still visible from the X-ray. Do I need another re-root treatment? Any thoughts on the X-ray? I have noticed that the darkness around that tooth is still visible. Does that mean the infection is still present?

#

I have seen the files and gone through them (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The two mesial roots are not properly filled to the tip but there does not seem to be any infection at the apex. I suggest you wait for a few more weeks.
  • Are the sensitivity and pain directly below the treated tooth?
  • It seems you have an infection at the wisdom tooth too, which has to be surgically removed first.
  • After removing it, if the pain still occurs, get one more X-ray done.

For more information consult an endodontist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endodontist

I have been to a few dentists regarding my wisdom tooth and this is the first time I heard that my wisdom tooth could be infected. May I ask the reason you say my wisdom tooth is infected? One dentist has advised that it is close to my main nerve in the jaw and could be a very complicated surgical process. So, worries here. Does the dark line or darkness around the root of the treated tooth not indicate some infection? I was looking for completely no dark line around the tooth to be able to say it has fully healed.

#

• This X-ray clearly shows infection along the mesial root of the root canal treated tooth and also some infection of the wisdom tooth.
  • You should definitely get the mesial roots re-treated.

|