Q. What should be done when a root canal treatment material has fallen out?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 09, 2019

I am a 25-year-old woman. Three years ago, I had a root canal, and it fell out today now. It is a hole, and the tooth around the gums do I need to get it looked at also is there anything I can do at home to make sure nothing gets infected inside of the hole.

#

Yes, you need to get that remaining part called root stump extracted. There must be a hole in which chances of food lodgement are there. Till you get it removed, you have to take care to avoid food lodgement there and protect the area from infections. After you get it extracted, you will have two options after wound healing, and you can either go for an implant or a prosthodontic bridge. So no point keeping the root only. Do revert back for more queries.

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

Does dry socket result from smoking 24 hours after tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked afte...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a dry socket, but wait for a week, for it to heal. Also, if the pain exceeds more than seven days, then visit a dentist and get an x-ray done. Until then, follow the prescribed medications and quit smoking, as it is not a good habit. Drink lots of water,...  Read Full

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full