Q. What should be done when a root canal treatment material has fallen out?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I am a 25-year-old woman. Three years ago, I had a root canal, and it fell out today now. It is a hole, and the tooth around the gums do I need to get it looked at also is there anything I can do at home to make sure nothing gets infected inside of the hole.

#

Yes, you need to get that remaining part called root stump extracted. There must be a hole in which chances of food lodgement are there. Till you get it removed, you have to take care to avoid food lodgement there and protect the area from infections. After you get it extracted, you will have two options after wound healing, and you can either go for an implant or a prosthodontic bridge. So no point keeping the root only. Do revert back for more queries.

| 

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Does dry socket result from smoking 24 hours after tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked afte...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »