Q. Is root canal treatment advisable to cure badly decayed front teeth in a child?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Mar 04, 2019

My 3.5 years old daughter's upper front four teeth have decayed very badly and our dentist has advised on either root canal treatment or taking them out. Which treatment is best suited overall for my daughter?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

Go for antibiotic coverage and meanwhile get the culprit teeth extracted if it is definitely amongst the first four. These are milk teeth which will come at age of 6. Do not get them extracted together. The one or two causing severe infection should be extracted out.

Another option is to cover infection through medicines only. Give your daughter syrup Augmentin three times a day, syrup Metronidazole three times a day and syrup Brufen three times a day for seven days. If the swelling goes away with it, everything is back to normal, leave it as it is. If pain and swelling recur once medicines are stopped, try getting chamber opened or root canal of the culprit tooth if the infection is minor, if it is major then get it extracted.

I would still recommend having root canal attempted on posterior milk teeth rather than the front because front permanent teeth come at around age 6 while back milk teeth fall at age of 9 and 10 and are definitely needed till this age so do not need to be extracted soon. Take care.

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »