Q. Why do I have a toothache four years after a root canal treatment?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 27, 2022

I am having minor to in some cases moderate toothaches from time to time due to a chipped root canal. I have not had any issues until recently. It has been around four years since I had the root canal done but never went back to get the crown. I have not gone because of dental anxiety. I have not had great experiences at the dentist in my life. The pain and sounds of the tools make me weary. I take pain relievers (one a day usually, maybe two). The toothaches are not so bad, but they are bothersome, to say the least. I take primarily Acetaminophen capsules 500 mg. Toothache details:

It is weird. Let me explain. I have recurring moderate toothaches (three to five a day) for a few days in a row, then I have a minor one maybe once a day for a few days then the cycle repeats. It is like a pattern. No toothache has been that serious but I do recall having a couple of low-end severe toothaches that did bother my sleep. Those, however are rare. These toothaches have been going on since two months. They are again, not constant. I do have times when I do not really have much or any pain, the most active toothache time is evening.

#

If you have not put a crown until now on the root canal treated tooth, then yes it can get infected and cause pain.

The pain will only increase. So, it is better to go back to your dentist, get an X-ray done and get an opinion.

If the root apex is again infected, you may need retreatment or you may lose that tooth.

You will need antibiotics also.

|