Q. I have a red spot on the head of my penis. What is it, and how to cure it?

Dr. Abdel Hakam Soliman
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a red spot on the head of my penis. I wanted to know if somebody can help me figure out what it is and how to cure it?

#

Please send me close and focused photos of the affected area to facilitate its evaluation.

Thanks for your reply.

I think it might be balanitis. That is the only red spot I have on the head of my penis. I have a couple of small tiny ones on the shaft; they do not look like this picture.

#

I think it is an insect infestation, for example, scabies; excuse me, the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) was not in focus. I mean, it gets pixelated when trying to enlarge it. Please, I need more in-focus photos of all the affected areas, and let me know,

• If there is any itching in other areas?
  • When itching is maximum, is it during the day?
  • When did these lesions appear approximately?

I am waiting for your answer.

Thank you so much for your reply.

It does not itch in any other area. I have seen it about a week ago. Can you confirm that it is scabies? And what can I do to treat it?

#

Unfortunately, I think it is scabies, but please note that the treatment is quite simple.

• Permethrin 5% (cream) to be applied to the whole body (except the face and the scalp), at bedtime for 8 to 10 hours, is the entire night long and washed in the morning. This procedure should be repeated after one week. That will be sufficient.
  • Tablet Desloratadine once at bedtime for one week.
  • All the clothes, towels, blankets, and linens should be changed daily. Do not scratch or rub the affected areas, and it is going to be fine.

|