Could the red scaly spot in my glans penis be caused due to infection?

Q. I have a red scaly painless spot on glans penis. What could it be?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have a red, painless, itch-free spot on the glans penis. It is shiny and slightly scaly, and I had it for a month. No sexual intercourse in the last six months and I am on Citalopram 20 mg and Trazodone 100 mg.

#

Thank you for attaching the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I completely understand your concern.

In most cases, such lesions are seen due to sexually transmitted infections like candida and gonorrhea. But as you mentioned, you have not been involved in any intercourse for six months. It can be due to candida only as it is a common fungal infection seen in most cases.

I am prescribing you five days medications and will see after that. Take tablet Cefixime 200 mg twice a day after meal for five days, tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once a day after meal for five days. Apply Beclomethasone Clotrimazole cream on the affected area three times a day after cleaning.

Do you have any history of herpes or any lesions on the lips? Please answer so that I can prescribe further treatment.

I was getting worried as I was browsing the internet regarding penile cancer. Hope that is not likely. A few more answers to help you get some more insight.

This happened around a year ago again and disappeared on its own. No itchiness nor pain. My partner (we are apart due to COVID-19) has had HPV. I have a recurring jock itch in my thigh area, but the one on the penis is itch-free. No history of herpes and lesion on lips. But I am under very heavy domestic and work stress. A thin layer of skin exactly the shape of the large red spot peeled off a few days back.

#

No, it is not likely to be penile cancer. It is a fungal infection only. I am suspecting it to be candida so use that cream and take tablets. Then after five days, on follow-up, we will see what progress do we get. If not, we will prescribe further medicines or tests if needed.

Keep general hygiene. Clean frequently, and use fresh undergarments and washed towels only.

Do not worry. I hope everything will be alright.

|